The Dallas Farmers Market is a large public market located at 1010 S. Pearl Expressway in the Farmers Market District of downtown Dallas, Texas. Beginning in the late 19th century, farmers began selling their fresh produce in various locations from their wagons.
Beginning in the late 19th century, farmers began selling their fresh produce in various locations from their wagons. Around 1900, the intersection of Pearl and Cadiz streets became the hub of a brisk wholesale business. Large quantities of produce were sold along with chickens, pigs, goats, and eggs. As demand for farm-fresh produce and meat grew it was clear that a better-organized system was needed. In 1939, the site of the Dallas Farmers Market was formalized and the first shed established. The site was officially sanctioned as a municipally-owned and operated market in December 1941.
Today, the Dallas Farmers Market features three kinds of sellers: produce dealers, wholesale dealers and local farmers. Monthly yard sales, cooking classes, workshops, and seasonal festivals also take place throughout the year. Floral and garden vendors are located adjacent to the market.